You are here
Home > National > Atiku weighs in on NASS siege, saying all parties involved should “put Nigeria first”.

Atiku weighs in on NASS siege, saying all parties involved should “put Nigeria first”.

Atiku Minimum Wage

Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, has condemned the invasion of the National Assembly by security operatives.

He alleged the action was geared towards forcefully changing the Senate’s leadership.

Atiku, in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday, condemned what he called an “atrocity;” and called on all those involved “to put Nigeria first and abandon this madness.”

He said that the constitution of Nigeria, as amended, guarantees both the independence of the Legislature and the separation of powers.

He said, “Nigeria is a democracy, not a military dictatorship and we, the people, will never return to tyranny.”

“I, therefore, call on President Muhammadu Buhari and acting President Yemi Osinbajo to stop hiding behind one finger and live up to their responsibility of upholding the constitution and law and order, which they swore to on May 29, 2015.”

“We warned that if what occurred in Benue last week was not checked on time, it would escalate to the federal level. Today, we are seeing that warning in play.”

He said that the Acting President, being a Professor of law, should to know that setting such a precedent would be an invitation to anarchy.

He added, “There are better uses for our security forces at this time than to lay siege to our citadels of democracy. Our people are languishing in the midst of unprecedented insecurity and nationwide killings.”

“To thus deploy our security forces in this present manner while Nigerians face these challenges is an abdication of responsibility, to say the least.”

Share

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Top